Observation at Bright Water Montessori School
Welcome to Bright Water Montessori School. We are happy to have you observe our classroom environments and the children at work.
Note the various aspects of a Montessori environment:
- The independence of the children, how naturally they assume responsibility for themselves in the classroom and how respectful they are to each other and to the materials in the environment.
- The variety of pace at which the children work. Some children work quickly while others work slowly.
- The children’s schedules. They are free to schedule their own day, sometimes with the teacher’s help, and to work alone or with others.
- The variety of work: grammar, creative writing, reading and word study; math and geometry; history, biology, science and geography; art, music and cooking.
- The teacher’s invitation to small groups of children for lessons during the day.
Respect for the child is primary in a Montessori environment, and the relationship between child and teacher is warm and supportive. Over the three years a child and teacher are together, the teacher comes to a deep understanding of a child’s learning style and how best to be both nurturing and inspiring for that child.
Teachers may periodically make notes as they move about the room. They encounter each child in a variety of ways during the day. They also present new lessons to small groups and offer support or coaching to individual children. They help the community of children function in a way that is mutually supportive and inspires each child to pursue his or her own passions and interests.
Distractions can disrupt the natural rhythm and flow of the children’s work and concentration, so to preserve that which you came to see, we ask that you abide by the following suggestions:
- Please remain seated in the visitor’s chairs provided in each room and do not visit with other observers. Moving about the room and talking can distract the children’s work.
- Please do not initiate conversation with the teacher. We will be happy to answer your questions when we gather with the principal after the observation.
- We want you to see what happens on an average day, so please don’t initiate conversations with the children. If they speak to you or ask why you came, you might simply say you came to watch them work.
All observations must be scheduled in advance. To schedule an observation please contact Bright Water’s administrative office at 612-302-3410. Observations are held from 9-11 during the week.